Skip to main content

I just got back from my grocery store where I paid $4.28 for 8 hamburger buns. That is almost as much as a gallon of gas!!! What is this world coming to?

I haven't bought any flour in a long time, but I plan to cook from scratch even more than I normally do - which is often. Here is a recipe for homemade hamburger or hotdog buns:

Hamburger Buns
makes 16
Hamburger buns made with whole grains need to cool for at least 45 minutes before slicing and eating, because whole-grain flours hold moisture longer than white flour.
3 cups all-purpose flour plus additional flour for kneading
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup toasted wheat germ
2 packages active dry yeast
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening

Place 1 1/2 cups each all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour, the toasted wheat germ, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, preferably a heavy-duty one with a paddle attachment, briefly mix together the ingredients.
In a saucepan over low heat, melt the shortening. Add the milk and sugar and heat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is very warm, but no hotter than 120 or 130 degrees. With the mixer at low speed, slowly pour milk mixture into flour mixture until blended. Increase to medium speed and beat mixture for about 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup each white flour and whole wheat flour and beat 2 minutes more. Add 1 cup white flour and beat until dough comes away from sides of bowl.
Knead dough on a lightly floured surface about 8 minutes or until smooth and elastic. (Use very little additional flour.) Place in bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rise in a warm place until double in volume, about 1 or 1 1/2 hours.
Gently punch dough down and divide dough into four equal portions. Divide each portion into fourths and allow dough to rest just 5 minutes. Form the small portions into balls and with fingertips fold edges under to form even circles. Place on lightly greased baking sheets, about 2-inches apart and with fingertips flatten each bun to a 3-inch circle. (If you prefer the sides of the buns to remain soft, place them closer together. Then as the buns rise the sides will touch.) Cover with a towel and set aside to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
Adjust rack in lower third of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees at least 20 minutes before baking. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and buns sound hollow when tapped lightly. Cool completely on wire rack before slicing. (Or cool and freeze, well-wrapped, for up to 1 week.) Makes 16.
To form hot dog buns: Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, pat or roll out each portion to a rectangle about 14 x 5 inches. Cut about eight 5 x 2 inch strips from each rectangle. Between the palms of your hands, roll each portion into 6-inch long buns. Place buns, about 2-inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Cover loosely with a cloth towel and set aside in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake as directed for hamburger buns.

This is not my personal recipe. I got it from this site and there is more information at this link: http://www.sallys-place.com/food/columns/braker/hamburger_buns.htm
The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Goodness no - I buy nothing at a convenience store. I bought the buns at my usual store, Alberston's (I live in Arizona but grew up in the Shoals area). Albertsons is owned by a group called SuperValu. That group owns Osco and Shaw's grocery store. I don't know if you have any of those in Alabama. Albersons is actually our "lower priced" regular grocery store (not including Costco, Wal-Mart or Sams). I can walk to Albertson's but not to Costco, Sam's or Wal-Mart.
I bought Oro Wheat. I had an idiot moment and didn't look at the price. I usually buy any bread products at Costco and freeze them, but Costco is a drive and I could walk to Albertson's. I had also dared to pick up ONE tomato and paid $.82 cents for it. I had brought only $5.00 with me and was short 19 cents. The sweet grocery store check out lady loaned me the 19 cents. Always be nice to check out people and they will remember you when you need it. What a day!
NashBama, I had an idiot moment to be sure! I got the the check out line, was hot and tired from walking to the grocery store and then so shocked at the price (since I forgot to look at it when I picked up the package!!!) that I just bought them.

Tuscumbia and Howard, I do eat my burgers naked (I am allergic to wheat), but my husband and son like a bun.

I would imagine there were sales over Memorial Day for buns, but unfortunately, I didn't go shopping then....

I will pay A LOT more attention to prices from now on! Red Face
quote:
Originally posted by moodymama:
I bought Oro Wheat. I had an idiot moment and didn't look at the price. I usually buy any bread products at Costco and freeze them, but Costco is a drive and I could walk to Albertson's. I had also dared to pick up ONE tomato and paid $.82 cents for it. I had brought only $5.00 with me and was short 19 cents. The sweet grocery store check out lady loaned me the 19 cents. Always be nice to check out people and they will remember you when you need it. What a day!

Can't you buy whole grain products cheaper than that?? Those must be some really great buns!!
I just walked to my grocery store again (it is on my walking/exercise route) and had a look at the hamburger buns again. The cheapest store brand tiny white bread buns were on sale for $1.89; they are normally $2.35. The buns I bought yesterday for $4.28 were double the size and were whole grain. My son will eat two of the tiny buns or one of the large buns. Just doing the math, it works out that they are really about the same.

So I will stop with my "consumer reports" now.

Still may make my own buns!

Add Reply

Untitled Document
Link copied to your clipboard.