Skip to main content

Take a moment today to remember - September 11, 2001. It is an honor to stand among the ranks of those who rushed into danger instead of running away. All of those who carried a badge that day and died saving others have stepped into a long line of brave souls who represent us forever as a family.

I will unashamedly borrow this from the Marines:

Wounds will heal,
Blood will fade,
Pride is Forever!

God Bless and keep those who died that day and all who miss them.

************************ Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on. Robert Kennedy

Μολὼν λαβέ

1*

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yes, I have been thinking about it all morning. I am about 200 feet away from where I was when it happened. Scary day, they locked us down, everyone was glued to CNN. The next morning when we came into the plant each car was stopped and searched, the line was forever as were the thoughts in my head. A somber day for sure.
I still remember my feeling of disbelief at seeing my fellow aviators, terrified passengers and their aircraft flying into the world trade center. I was at home and spent the day trying to explain to my 4 yr old daughter why I was so sad and reassuring her it would be ok for me to go fly again. When airspace was reopened my next flight carried us within sight of the still smoldering trade center complex. My sadness was tempered by all the stories of the heroic actions of the first responders. Never Forget!!!
My late husband was one of the folks who went in trying to dig people out after the towers had fallen. He had been a construction worker and so he knew how those towers had been built. He went week after week, and only came home on week-ends.

I have no proof, but I believe that all the dust and asbestos, etc. were what led to the cancer that killed him.

I'm crying as I type this. Not only did all of those poor people die that day, but quite a few more unsung heroes died trying to rescue and recover.

And you know what? Even if he had known that it would eventually kill him, he would have gone anyway.

I still love that man so much...
quote:
Originally posted by O No!:
My late husband was one of the folks who went in trying to dig people out after the towers had fallen. He had been a construction worker and so he knew how those towers had been built. He went week after week, and only came home on week-ends.

I have no proof, but I believe that all the dust and asbestos, etc. were what led to the cancer that killed him.

I'm crying as I type this. Not only did all of those poor people die that day, but quite a few more unsung heroes died trying to rescue and recover.

And you know what? Even if he had known that it would eventually kill him, he would have gone anyway.

Your late husband was a hero. I hope my children can learn from those values. Honor, loyalty, and courage to only name a few.
I try to remember it in my own way, but I can't think about it too long; it's a self-preservation kind of thing. I thought about it plenty when it first happened and cried for three days. I'm just the kind of person who deals with things on the front end and goes on with life.

There were some good documentaries on about it today on the History and National Geographic channels (God, I'm a dork!)....I could only watch a little of them them though. I just don't like re-living all of it over and over again.
quote:

Ohhh...bless your heart. Sending you a hug that it may make you feel a little better.
You have every right to be proud of your husband, as am I.
quote:

I'm so sorry to hear that. There were many heroes that day and in the days that followed. I've heard many stories of the rescuers having chronic illnesses like respiratory problems and cancers. I hope they're all receiving the great care they deserve.

God bless you, O No. Your husband was a brave man. You're in my thoughts.

Add Reply

Untitled Document
Link copied to your clipboard.