Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Certain things, like the economy, have a certain momentum that a change in administration cannot reverse. While Obama certainly seems to be doing everything he can to make things worse, I have a hard time believing that Bush would be doing any better, given his 8 year track record. So, no, I don't miss him, even though I'm rather displeased with his replacement.
quote:
Originally posted by dolemitejb:
Certain things, like the economy, have a certain momentum that a change in administration cannot reverse. While Obama certainly seems to be doing everything he can to make things worse, I have a hard time believing that Bush would be doing any better, given his 8 year track record. So, no, I don't miss him, even though I'm rather displeased with his replacement.
Very well put.
ONE OF THE WORST????? He was the absolute worst, period. During his term in office our country was attacked on OUR soil, He half-@**ed attatcked our attackers but invaded an entirely different country, he increased taxes on the poor and middle class while bringing the taxes on the rich down to almost nothing, he deregulated businesses, and sent our country spiralling into economic turmoil. A turmoil that without Obamas initiatives (according to ALL top economists, left wing and right wing)would be much worse.

The only reason to miss him would be the comic relief of his idiocy.
and before you say I'm not old enough to remember, yes Bill, I am old enough to remember long before Bush Sr. I definitely remember Reagonomics. The Shoals area had the second highest unemployment rate in the state at just over 33%. My favorite (haha) memory is seeing an ad in the paper for a fry cook at Jacks in Sheffield and standing in line for 6 hours waiting to fill out an application and getting turned down because I was a college graduate.
tcf531- that was one of the best posts I've ever seen written! I've NEVER been a fan of Reagan or Reagan-economics because like you, I couldn't find a job either. I had plenty of education, was laughed at because I had a degree, my sex and my race. My fathers company was closed down because of the air traffic controllers bust-up by Reagan, and it hurt this are enormously!
Reagan-economics was not good for this area for this area, in my opinion.
quote:
Originally posted by kperk014:
quote:
Originally posted by elinterventor01:
Reagan has little to do with the economics of the Shoals. Much of the nation prospered, unemployment dropped and hyper inflation ended.


The unions destroyed the Shoals economy in the late 70s and into the 80s, not Reagan.


Exactly, Decatur without unions was doing quite well in the 70's and 80's.
quote:
Originally posted by tcf531:
ONE OF THE WORST????? He was the absolute worst, period. During his term in office our country was attacked on OUR soil, He half-@**ed attatcked our attackers but invaded an entirely different country, he increased taxes on the poor and middle class while bringing the taxes on the rich down to almost nothing, he deregulated businesses, and sent our country spiralling into economic turmoil. A turmoil that without Obamas initiatives (according to ALL top economists, left wing and right wing)would be much worse.

The only reason to miss him would be the comic relief of his idiocy.


And how many attacks have we had since our new king came into power? Does Arkansas, Ft. Hood, and Detroit ring a bell? Please explain or provide references where he "increased taxes on the poor and middle class while bringing the taxes on the rich down to almost nothing". Please explain why "deregulating businessess" is a bad thing. Please provide references where "ALL the top economists" say the economy would be "much worse" without the Obama/Bush initiatives. I'm not taking up for Bush, he made plenty of mistakes but you haven't listed any of them.
quote:
Originally posted by ferrellj:
quote:
Originally posted by kperk014:
quote:
Originally posted by elinterventor01:
Reagan has little to do with the economics of the Shoals. Much of the nation prospered, unemployment dropped and hyper inflation ended.


The unions destroyed the Shoals economy in the late 70s and into the 80s, not Reagan.


Exactly, Decatur without unions was doing quite well in the 70's and 80's.


Yep, Decatur was doing great in the 80s, they were the city with higher unemployment than the shoals at 36%
quote:
Originally posted by ferrellj:
quote:
Originally posted by tcf531:
ONE OF THE WORST????? He was the absolute worst, period. During his term in office our country was attacked on OUR soil, He half-@**ed attatcked our attackers but invaded an entirely different country, he increased taxes on the poor and middle class while bringing the taxes on the rich down to almost nothing, he deregulated businesses, and sent our country spiralling into economic turmoil. A turmoil that without Obamas initiatives (according to ALL top economists, left wing and right wing)would be much worse.

The only reason to miss him would be the comic relief of his idiocy.


And how many attacks have we had since our new king came into power? Does Arkansas, Ft. Hood, and Detroit ring a bell? Please explain or provide references where he "increased taxes on the poor and middle class while bringing the taxes on the rich down to almost nothing". Please explain why "deregulating businessess" is a bad thing. Please provide references where "ALL the top economists" say the economy would be "much worse" without the Obama/Bush initiatives. I'm not taking up for Bush, he made plenty of mistakes but you haven't listed any of them.


Lets start woth "why is deregulating nusinesses a bad thing"
If you give businesses an opportunity to mistreat their employees, they will. If businesses are allowed to rape the enviroment, they will. That is the greed of business and the "best" decision business wise. The only way for anyone to get fair pay and treatment is through some type of regulation.

Ft. Hood, Arkansas and Detroit: The first two are lone gunmen, that is something that is impossible to stop as long as we keep our 2nd ammendment rights. Just like the child in Huntsville shooting the other child the other day. The underwear bomber was a different story and could have been very bad. Nowhere near as bad as 9/11, but bad. The only thing that saved that flight was the ineptness of the bomber and his organization.
** side notes: I prefer we keep our 2nd ammendment rights and have the occasional random shootings.
**side notes: I think its hilarious that that guy blew his junk off and is headed to prison, he will definitely be the she in that cell

I was wrong on the Bush tax increases on the poor and middle class and i apologize for that . He actually lowered the average taxes of people earning less than $100K/yr by just under $100 per yr. BUT, he he did lower the taxes on the rich by an average of $500k per year.

Economists:
Mark Zandi, Cheif economist for Moody and former advisor to John McCain:" I think it is a reasonably designed package"
Joeseph Stiglitz, Nobel prize in Economic Science and Cheif Economist of the world bank: "It's the only thing that can be done"
Paul Krugman,Nobel prize in economic science and professor of economics at princeton and the london school of economics: CRITICIZED the stimulus plan saying:"It is inadequate and should be closer to 1 Trillion dollars."

According to usa today: http://www.usatoday.com/money/...obama-stimulus_N.htm

an interesting article debating both sides at forbes.com: http://www.forbes.com/2009/01/...bb_0123bartlett.html

so, does that help any?
quote:
Originally posted by The Raven:
tcf531- that was one of the best posts I've ever seen written! I've NEVER been a fan of Reagan or Reagan-economics because like you, I couldn't find a job either. I had plenty of education, was laughed at because I had a degree, my sex and my race. My fathers company was closed down because of the air traffic controllers bust-up by Reagan, and it hurt this are enormously!
Reagan-economics was not good for this area for this area, in my opinion.


The air traffic bust-up was caused by the controllers breaking the law. Thier strike was illegal.
quote:
Originally posted by The Raven:
tcf531- that was one of the best posts I've ever seen written! I've NEVER been a fan of Reagan or Reagan-economics because like you, I couldn't find a job either. I had plenty of education, was laughed at because I had a degree, my sex and my race. My fathers company was closed down because of the air traffic controllers bust-up by Reagan, and it hurt this are enormously!
Reagan-economics was not good for this area for this area, in my opinion.


Maybe I should remind you that white or caucasian weren't even on job applications for TVA jobs during the carter years. I had to check "none of the above." Reagan had to straighten out all that liberal crap before things began to turn around.
quote:
Originally posted by tcf531:
quote:
Originally posted by ferrellj:
quote:
Originally posted by kperk014:
quote:
Originally posted by elinterventor01:
Reagan has little to do with the economics of the Shoals. Much of the nation prospered, unemployment dropped and hyper inflation ended.


The unions destroyed the Shoals economy in the late 70s and into the 80s, not Reagan.


Exactly, Decatur without unions was doing quite well in the 70's and 80's.


Yep, Decatur was doing great in the 80s, they were the city with higher unemployment than the shoals at 36%


If Decatur really had 36% unemployment (I would like to see your source) it was because of the total destruction of the US economy that took place at the end of the 70s. Guess who was in the White House and who controlled congress at that time? That's right. jc and the dimocrats and I'm not talking about Jesus Christ.

The only thing I've found so far says that "In 1990, the unemployment rate in Morgan County was 6.48 compared to 6.83 for the state." This is from The City of Decatur Department of Community Developement. IF their unemployment was 36% in the 80s, Reagan and Bush must have done one heckuva job to lower it almost 30 points by 1990.


.
Last edited by kperk014
quote:
Originally posted by kperk014:
quote:
Originally posted by elinterventor01:
Reagan has little to do with the economics of the Shoals. Much of the nation prospered, unemployment dropped and hyper inflation ended.


The unions destroyed the Shoals economy in the late 70s and into the 80s, not Reagan.


Yes, too true. Brain dead local leaders helped.
quote:
I was wrong on the Bush tax increases on the poor and middle class and i apologize for that . He actually lowered the average taxes of people earning less than $100K/yr by just under $100 per yr. BUT, he he did lower the taxes on the rich by an average of $500k per year.


The Atrociousness of the Bush admin is found in the destruction of the dollar. He never vetoed a spending bill until his last year in office. Bush blew the budget by almost 5 trillion during his presidency if you include the Wall Street bailout.

The dollar fell against the Euro from 1.5 euros to the dollar to 1.5 dollars to the Euro. This was the reason oil exploded in price and reason we were put into this current depression. The underlying economic fundamentals of the dpression were laid in the Bush administration. When gas went to $4.00, any idiot knew that was diseaster for the economy and country. Bush thought it was the American way.
He was, is and always will be the village idiot.
Last edited by Jugflier
One more thing. The devaluation of the dollar and subsequent inflation was worse and more cruel than any tax increase.
When working families see an over 50% rise in consumer prices, and in some instances over 100%, while wages declined due to NAFTA and MFN for China, that my friend is worse than the muffler Bush gave working middle class families in tax cuts.
I would rather see a balanced budget and higher taxes than low taxes and high inflation.
quote:
Originally posted by tcf531:
quote:
Originally posted by ferrellj:
quote:
Originally posted by kperk014:
quote:
Originally posted by elinterventor01:
Reagan has little to do with the economics of the Shoals. Much of the nation prospered, unemployment dropped and hyper inflation ended.


The unions destroyed the Shoals economy in the late 70s and into the 80s, not Reagan.


Exactly, Decatur without unions was doing quite well in the 70's and 80's.


Yep, Decatur was doing great in the 80s, they were the city with higher unemployment than the shoals at 36%


I would like to see your proof of that. I worked on a lot of expansions in Decatur in the 80's.
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gray:
quote:
Originally posted by David L.:
NO, I don't miss one of the worst Presidents in history.

Hi David,

You're too young to remember back before Bush Senior -- so, what so you know about good or bad presidents? Hearsay doesn't count!



God bless, have a wonderful, blessed day,

Bill



Hmm... you're not old enough to remember what happened before, say 1950 (guessing). So what do you know about Jesus? Hearsay doesn't count!

See how patronizing you sound, Bill? Have yourself a wonderful day and may you be blessed as well. With humility would be a good start.
quote:
Originally posted by Jugflier:
quote:
I was wrong on the Bush tax increases on the poor and middle class and i apologize for that . He actually lowered the average taxes of people earning less than $100K/yr by just under $100 per yr. BUT, he he did lower the taxes on the rich by an average of $500k per year.


The Atrociousness of the Bush admin is found in the destruction of the dollar. He never vetoed a spending bill until his last year in office. Bush blew the budget by almost 5 trillion during his presidency if you include the Wall Street bailout.

The dollar fell against the Euro from 1.5 euros to the dollar to 1.5 dollars to the Euro. This was the reason oil exploded in price and reason we were put into this current depression. The underlying economic fundamentals of the dpression were laid in the Bush administration. When gas went to $4.00, any idiot knew that was diseaster for the economy and country. Bush thought it was the American way.
He was, is and always will be the village idiot.


Gas prices dropped well before the recession. Therefore, did not contribute to it. Obama has taken the deficit and multiplied it by factors of 100 percent, even more in the future.

Add Reply


Untitled Document
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×