Skip to main content

ROSEBURG, Ore. - Nicole Engler finished work as a family nurse practitioner at Evergreen Family Medicine and headed out to her car to go pick up her 21-month-old daughter Remington from daycare Thursday afternoon, she told police

But Engler's daughter wasn't at daycare.

She was still in her car seat, according to a Roseburg Police Officer's account of his interview with Engler.

Nicole said she rushed Remington into the medical facility where medical staff performed cardio pulmonary resuscitation," the officer wrote in a sworn statement. "Remington was transported to Mercy Medical Center where she was pronounced deceased."

Officers responded to the medical office at 4:17 p.m. and interviewed Engler.

She told police she had driven to work and left her daughter in her car seat, believing she had dropped her off at daycare.

Temperatures reached 80 F in Roseburg on Thursday afternoon, according to National Weather Service records.

Police arrested Engler on a charge of "Manslaughter in the Second Degree because, with criminal negligence, she caused the death of her 21 month old daughter by neglect."

Police said the investigation is ongoing.

In Oregon's judicial system, it will be up to prosecutors and the county grand jury to determine whether to pursue the charges against Engler.

Engler worked in northern Vermont and Sacramento, Calif., before moving to Roseburg 4 years ago, according to a biography posted by Evergreen Family Medicine.

The biography says her husband works as an EMT at Mercy Medical Center.


Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I don't think this was an accident.

Donations Help Bail Out Oregon Mom Charged With Manslaughter After 1-Year-Old Dies in Hot Car

Donations from strangers helped bail out of mother who was charged with manslaughter after leaving her 1-year-old daughter in a hot car in Oregon.

Nicole Engler, a pediatric nurse, was given a $50,000 bail when she was charged with second-degree manslaughter after accidentally forgetting her daughter was in the backseat as she drove herself to work last Thursday.

She didn’t discover her unresponsive daughter, Remy, until after 4 p.m. that afternoon when her shift ended. The 38-year-old mother didn’t even realize the baby was in the car at noon when she went to go get coffee.

"When queried by the baristas as to how her daughter was, she responded, 'Having another happy play day' at daycare," Engler's attorney, David Terry, wrote in a letter to the Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association. "We can never know if her daughter was still alive at that moment.”

Terry is asking Douglas County prosecutors to drop the case, considering the circumstances.

On the day of Remy’s death, Engler decided to take her daughter to daycare, which her husband usually does, because she wanted to let him sleep after he’d worked a late shift at his job.

Terry said Engler suffered a lapse of awareness, a theory that changes in routine cause otherwise responsible parents to forget they have children in the vehicle with them.

Engler panicked when she found her daughter and could be heard screaming in the parking lot, Terry said. She rushed the toddler back into the medical facility where she works and staff performed CPR until an ambulance arrived.

Remy was later pronounced dead.

Engler had her daughter after struggling to conceive for 15 years, reports said.

"This is not about a heartless mother who does the unthinkable,” Terry wrote.

The temperature was about 80 degrees on Thursday.

Add Reply


Untitled Document
Link copied to your clipboard.