Skip to main content

Look, we all have basically the same ideas, correct? We have to start somewhere. All politics aside, the crime is rampant around here and they simply do not have enough officers in the police department, and right now they can't afford to pay decent wages to the ones they've got, much less hire more. I suggest we begin an auxilliary patrol to help out. At the very least, our presence would be known and probably be a deterent. The police can't be everywhere at once, but we could help a great deal. We could help patrol the parks, the neighborhoods, the businesses to help keep them safe. Let's get the ball rolling.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by WindsOfChange:
Look, we all have basically the same ideas, correct? We have to start somewhere. All politics aside, the crime is rampant around here and they simply do not have enough officers in the police department, and right now they can't afford to pay decent wages to the ones they've got, much less hire more. I suggest we begin an auxilliary patrol to help out. At the very least, our presence would be known and probably be a deterent. The police can't be everywhere at once, but we could help a great deal. We could help patrol the parks, the neighborhoods, the businesses to help keep them safe. Let's get the ball rolling.



Our Politicians today count on all of us being too busy to check behind them on $$$$$$$$. I just BET that Sheffield DOES have the money for the officers, but it is going in all the wrong places.

Sheffield has more bars and sells more alcohol than any other city around here. From what they sell and what traffic violations they get people for leaving night spots, they HAVE to have a bunch coming in.

Sheffield has a HIGH arrest rate. Along with arrest rates come HIGH fines. Yes, I know a lot of any fine goes to the State, but a lot of it stays within the City too.

Looks like Sheffield is due for an independant AUDIT.
Anyone who knows anything about Sheffield knows there is hardly any tax base. A half dozen gas stations and three (maybe) bars does not constitute a tax base Kindred.

I'm sure Florence one Wal-Mart rakes in more in revenue in a week than Sheffield does in 6 months.

With regards to the recent crime wave I'd like to see some statistics.

According to this site crime appears to be stagnant or declining.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Sheffield-Alabama.html

I agree Sheffield needs a tax base.
Last edited by Phoenix Rising
PR,Crime has to be reported to be counted in statistics.There is alot of unreported crime in this area.There is a crack house 3 houses down from where I live.The police are there at least twice a week and nothing is ever done.I've had a drunk or drugged person walk right into my house and tell me he had to sit down for a while.My husband escorted him right back out the door.I've had a bloody man knocking at the door in the middle of the night needing help,I called 911.Sheffield,certainly,is not Mayberry!
quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix Rising:
Anyone who knows anything about Sheffield knows there is hardly any tax base. A half dozen gas stations and three (maybe) bars does not constitute a tax base Kindred.

I'm sure Florence one Wal-Mart rakes in more in revenue in a week than Sheffield does in 6 months.

With regards to the recent crime wave I'd like to see some statistics.

According to this site crime appears to be stagnant or declining.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Sheffield-Alabama.html

I agree Sheffield needs a tax base.



Man, it HAS been a long time since you have been to Sheffield, huh????

It has the huge Motel that used to be RAMADA that has 2 bars in it. Holiday Inn has a large BAR and Resturant. Chucky Cheese don't have a Bar though, lol. Ooops, we cannot forget Cajuns and their Bar either.

I can count I at least 4 MORE Bar's than mentioned above. It also is the home to Outback Steak House which ALSO has a bar, and whatever opens up next to it always has a bar too, lol. I think there is a couple of Bars on Nashville Ave and don't forget the VFW. It also has a Casa Mexicana which has a Bar in it.

It has a huge grocery store, several Dollar Stores, a boatload of convenience Stores with gas pumps AND beer/wine, TWO McDonalds, Car Dealerships, Several downtown businesses, A few restuarants, Vehicle Repair Shops, Oil Business, and numerous other businesses.

Sheffield is not the hole in the wall that a lot of people THINK they are. Actually they have a LOT showing for them considering their population.

It may NOT be Mayberry, but it has a LOT showing for the Council and gov't officials to say they don't have any money????
Yankee,

If you are talking about unreported crime don't you think those numbers would move up and down with the same percentages as actual crime?

Kindred,

If Sheffield sells more beer (not that that is a indicator of revenue) than Florence explain these numbers.

Florence:
Tax - Total General Sales: $21,890,000
Property: $9,117,000
NEC: $2,603,000
Alcoholic Beverage Sales: $803,000
Motor Fuels Sales: $711,000
Tobacco Sales: $280,000

Sheffield:
Tax - Total General Sales: $2,005,000
Property: $811,000
NEC: $632,000
Motor Fuels Sales: $244,000
Other Selective Sales: $195,000
Alcoholic Beverage Sales: $157,000
Tobacco Sales: $78,000

Muscle Shoals
Tax - Total General Sales: $8,637,000
NEC: $787,000
Property: $557,000
Motor Fuels Sales: $454,000
Alcoholic Beverage Sales: $227,000
Tobacco Sales: $159,000
Other Selective Sales: $23,000

Notice also Sheffield has roughly 1/4 the population as Florence and 1/10th the sales tax revenue. Muscle Shoals with just a slightly higher population has 4 times the tax revenue.

Info came from
http://www.city-data.com
Last edited by Phoenix Rising
quote:
Originally posted by WindsOfChange:
We could help patrol the parks, the neighborhoods, the businesses to help keep them safe.


I'm curious about something. What would you do in case you did come upon a crime? Handcuff them? Put them in your car & carry them to the police station? There's no way I would put myself in that position if I lived in Sheffield. That can get you killed.
And you got that link WHERE???

Sheffield is a tiny little "HOT" Spot on the weekends, whether you believe it or not.

Now, IF the leaders are reporting everything correctly (from what YOU have posted) then I would have to wonder just WHERE all their revenue was going because every time I go to Sheffield, it is pretty dang busy. But it is a tiny tiny town too.

Sheffield is the ONLY City in this area who put in a bid to rent 2nd Street from TVA. There is so much they can do by spreading that way it is unreal.
They are building another? I purposefully left OFF the medical. The pharmacies, the hospital, the medical buildings, the doctors offices, the dentist offices and things of that nature that is located in Sheffield.

In fact, in reading this post here, aside from a very few neighborhoods, Sheffield is a VERY nice little town!!!
quote:
Originally posted by Kindred_Spirit:
And you got that link WHERE???

Sheffield is a tiny little "HOT" Spot on the weekends, whether you believe it or not.

Now, IF the leaders are reporting everything correctly (from what YOU have posted) then I would have to wonder just WHERE all their revenue was going because every time I go to Sheffield, it is pretty dang busy. But it is a tiny tiny town too.

Sheffield is the ONLY City in this area who put in a bid to rent 2nd Street from TVA. There is so much they can do by spreading that way it is unreal.
sheffield could be so much more if it weren't "landlocked" by railroad tracks. my greatest thrill in life is looking in the rearview mirror to see the guardrails coming down behind me!! YESSSSSSssss!
Taciturn>>>
>>>I'm curious about something. What would you do in case you did come upon a crime? Handcuff them? Put them in your car & carry them to the police station? There's no way I would put myself in that position if I lived in Sheffield. That can get you killed.

Well, of course not. We just patrol and notify our understaffed police department if and when their presence is required. Do you have any idea how few officers are on patrol on the midnight shift??? That leaves an awful lot of areas unpatrolled.
quote:
Originally posted by yankeewitch:
quote:
Originally posted by dogsoldier0513:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Helen Keller Hospital located with Sheffield's city limits?


I pretty sure it is and they are building that huge medical complex here,too.


If you are referring to the one they are building along Avalon, that is in Tuscumbia. That side of Avalon is Tuscumbia, the other side is Sheffield.
quote:
Originally posted by Kindred_Spirit:
They are building another? I purposefully left OFF the medical. The pharmacies, the hospital, the medical buildings, the doctors offices, the dentist offices and things of that nature that is located in Sheffield.

In fact, in reading this post here, aside from a very few neighborhoods, Sheffield is a VERY nice little town!!!


There is not a lot of dollars in medical facilities or bars for that matter.

Add Reply


Untitled Document
×
×
×
×
Link copied to your clipboard.
×