Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think 8 inches is a bit of a stretch. Its way to early to even talk about significant accumulations. Remember it will be near 60 on sunday followed by rain before we get that changeover to snow sometime late monday morning(hopefully). A warm and wet ground is not usually conducive for accumulating snow. However, if the temperature drops fast enough and the snow is heavy enough, which is entirely possible, then its possible to overcome the warm wet ground. Right now I'd draw a line from Memphis to Tupelo to just west of Huntsville up toward Nashville. I would bet 1-2 inches seems much more realistic at this point given all the negatives going against this event. Of course, thats all subject to change.
As usual, the three Huntsville stations are all trying to out do the other, one predict siginificant snowfall (WAFF this time), one some snow showers (WAAY) and rain only ending with a few flurries (WHNT). It's like the three bears of weather forecasting. One's too hot, one's too cold and the other is just right. Well, at least one will hit it right and have bragging rights til the next winter storm.
quote:
Originally posted by im4uhonee:
As usual, the three Huntsville stations are all trying to out do the other, one predict siginificant snowfall (WAFF this time), one some snow showers (WAAY) and rain only ending with a few flurries (WHNT). It's like the three bears of weather forecasting. One's too hot, one's too cold and the other is just right. Well, at least one will hit it right and have bragging rights til the next winter storm.

The only news station that I watch is WAFF.
The different hair colors of Gary Dobbs scares me and Dan Satterfield gets way to excited, and ends up getting on my nerves. Brad Travis and Jeff Castle are more simmered down and I like that. Although, Remeesha tends to make me a little annoyed with all of the blinking.... Eeker
quote:
Originally posted by UNA LIONS FAN:
quote:

The only news station that I watch is WAFF.
The different hair colors of Gary Dobbs scares me and Dan Satterfield gets way to excited, and ends up getting on my nerves. Brad Travis and Jeff Castle are more simmered down and I like that. Although, Remeesha tends to make me a little annoyed with all of the blinking.... Eeker

WAAF seems to believe that the earth falls off somewhere just West of Athens.

Several years ago, I was sleeping just fine when the tornado siren (that sounds like it is in the bedroom with me) went off. I reached for the tuner and turned on the TV WAAF. They were advertising cars. I turned to 31, and they were looking at something happening up in Tennessee.
Turned to 19 and Saterfield was on top of it. Showing how a tornado had entered Lauderdale Co up around Waterloo and was headed for Tn. Finally when the siren quit, I went back to sleep. Two days later, it went off again. Turned to 48 and they were advertising cars. Turned to 31 and once again, they were screwing around with something up in Tn. Turned to 19 and again, Dan was on top of it, telling why the sirens had gone off was because of a tornado down around Tupelo.
While I admit, Dan S gets way (waay) to excited, and will drive you nuts on a daily basis, when the chips are down, he is the one that is there.

After the second event I called the lord high mayor of Muscle Shoals and ask him who sets off the sirens, Told him if one was headed down Avalon, I needed to know, but when one was down East of Tupelo, or up in Waterloo, I'd rather just read about it in the morning paper.
I don't know if he did anything, in fact I kinda doubt if he would know what to do, but they haven't been going off for something that far away since. END OF RANT !

As far as for snow Monday, I just pulled up channel 100 on the dish (you can get local weather on an interactive basis for anywhere in the country) and they show for monday a low of 38 and a high of 42 with snow, Tuesday low of 25 and high of 35. If they are correct, it would be too warm to stick unless it snowed like hellcrazy.
quote:

I think it is just a manner of opinion. Each Meteorologist may interpret the model data different or they favor one solution over the other. There are several weather models available for them to look at. Lets see, off the top of my head there is the GFS, NOGAPS, UKMET, NAM, MM5, EURO, CANADIAN, JMA, AVN. So, one of the meteorologist may think the GFS is correct while the other may favor the NAM soultion. Thats why the forecasts may vary. I can tell you tonight that the chances of snow do not look to good. However, that may all change tomorrow with new computer model runs. To answer the question above about the sirens, Colbert EMA sounds the sirens county wide.
quote:
Originally posted by Thunderhead Hawkins:
I think 8 inches is a bit of a stretch. Its way to early to even talk about significant accumulations. Remember it will be near 60 on sunday followed by rain before we get that changeover to snow sometime late monday morning(hopefully). A warm and wet ground is not usually conducive for accumulating snow. However, if the temperature drops fast enough and the snow is heavy enough, which is entirely possible, then its possible to overcome the warm wet ground. Right now I'd draw a line from Memphis to Tupelo to just west of Huntsville up toward Nashville. I would bet 1-2 inches seems much more realistic at this point given all the negatives going against this event. Of course, thats all subject to change.

LOL!!!!!!

Oh..... you were actually talking about the weather?
quote:
Originally posted by Thunderhead Hawkins:
Snow chances continue to drop. Maybe a few flakes late monday, that should be about it.

That is SOOOO disheartening.

Let's just keep pretending we ARE going to see snow and 'lots of it !! I'll cover my ears and sing "lalalalalalalalalala" Big Grin

I miss the snow. I think we need at least one good snow every year. Only for a couple of days though.
quote:
Originally posted by George Sand:
I posted on another thread that I'm about ready to kill me some groundhogs. I'm sick of the cold. We had a 3 day respite in the Bahamas and it was just enough of a teaser to make me mad. I'm ready for 98 in the shade with 110% humidity.

Thanks George. That's the spirit, put me to work Wink

Add Reply

Untitled Document
Link copied to your clipboard.